Saturday, February 16, 2013

Mufasa

Remember this scene from The Lion King? 



I'm Shenzi in this clip. But replace "Mufasa" with "seminary." Oooo do it again! It makes me shudder (and giggle like a child).

For a long time, the thought of seminary has been creeping into my head. And it scared me. I think one of first times it really freaked me out was when I was in 7th grade. My friends and I were being particularly honest this day and were talking about our real life goals. As opposed to the ones we told everyone else, "I'd love to be a (insert respected profession here, such as lawyer, doctor, pharmacist, teacher)."

We shared things like, "how cool would it be to be an exotic dancer for a while?" and, "do you think I could be a cowgirl?"

Mine was weirder.

I quietly said, "well, I've kind of been thinking that being a pastor would be cool." My friends nodded, smiled, and moved on. Okay, I thought, probably not a "responsible" profession. 

I kept pushing this feeling to the back of my mind. I wanted to actually make money and I was told I was "smart enough" do just about anything short of being a physicist. So I pursued something more normal, and something that I did well. Something that would make more money.


A few months after I graduated college, people started saying these weird things to me:

"Have you ever thought of going to seminary?"
"What about ministry? That seems to fit you."
"Youth ministry is where you should really look."
"You'd be a great preacher. You should go to seminary."

Ew. I shuddered. That word again. Yuck. Seminary? Four more years of school? Really? Seminary?

Yes. Seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment