Monday, February 4, 2013

James

My father's name is James. My older brother's name is James. 

These two men have been huge blessings and huge pains in my backside throughout my life. 


Then there is another James. Who has been just as annoying and a pain in my backside. 


James, a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ (James 1:1 NLT).



If you haven't read the entire book of James, open up a new tab and go read it. I can't promise that it will have the same effect on you that it had on me, but I'm guessing something will stick out like a knife in your chest. 


In my Bible, I have things like "YES" and "I love this!" written all over the margins of James. 


Then in fourth chapter, that joyous confirmation stops. And James stabs me right where it hurts. 


Let's rewind. Not too far. Only about eight months. 


My life was fantastic in May of 2012. 


I was ready to graduate from The Ohio State University with a Bachelors Degree in American Political Science after only two years of study. I was sliding right into an amazing job with the Department of Defense (I would be making A LOT of money). And I would get to move back down to Virginia for a few years and spend time with all of my best friends. I would have this great job, a cute little apartment, maybe buy a new car, make lots of money, then move on to another great city. Yes. This was the good life. 


Then James happened. 


Look here, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit." How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog- it's here a little while, then it's gone. (James 4:13-14 NLT)


Thank you, James, for completely wrecking my life. You're not quite as loving and forgiving as my brother and dad. You kind of suck. 


So I started praying. And life started kicking me in the head. So I prayed some more. And life continued to take jabs at me. Then finally, it took the blow below the belt. 


My marvelous, high-paying, nicely perked job had been swiped from me. The government decided that it should go to veterans instead of recent graduates. And, alas, I am no veteran. 


Enter a defeated girl: jobless, moveless, apartment-less, new car-less, lots of money-less. 


Thanks, James. This is where my story begins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment