Monday, February 25, 2013

My dog reminds me of Jesus

Let me introduce you to someone who is pretty important in my life: 

This is my best friend and first dog, Reagan (and that's me on the right).

Reagan will be 13 years old this July, which means he has been in my life since I was 8 years old. He is absolutely fantastic.


One of the coolest things about Reagan is that he is so forgiving. He reminds me of Jesus (stay with me, here).  Jesus goes to all these unfortunate and broken people and says, "here, let me take your hand" and "I love you even when you are mad at me."


Most importantly, Jesus says "I am yours and you are mine."


Reagan says this on a regular basis. Okay, maybe he doesn't say it, but it's pretty obvious that he means it.  Dogs (and frankly any pet) can bring an entirely different perspective to your spirituality.


You're honest with them. Have you ever cried to your bunny?

They know when you're mad at them. How many times a day do you trip over a paw and yell obscenities in their direction? 
You're vulnerable around them. Have you ever undressed in front of your dog?
They can make you feel better. Purring kitten, anyone?

What do all of these things have in common?


Jesus knows and does these things too. You just have to have a relationship with Him.


And the best part is, you don't have to clean up after Jesus. He doesn't make messes on your carpet or need any vaccines.


He is yours and you are His.



Jesus loves you, 

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment