Sunday, March 10, 2013

Perfection


I am terrified about going to seminary.

I went to high school with about 1,400 other people.
I went to undergrad at a university with over 56,300 people.
Some of my classes had about 400 people in the lecture.

Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (I abbreviate that long name as 'Southern' in every other blog post) has 160 people enrolled right now.

160 people.

Talk about a rude awakening.

I have a few pending fears...

What if no one likes me?
What if I don't like anyone? (Okay, that is almost impossible.)
Rumors are going to fly like wildfire around that place. 
Everyone is going to know who I am, what I believe, who I date, where I'm from, and whether or not I am at church every single Sunday morning. 

I obviously don't have a whole lot of secrets (I am writing a blog, after all...) but even if I wanted to hide something, it would be virtually impossible at a school that small.


I'm a normal person (we are defining "normal" pretty broadly here), but I'm not perfect. I haven't killed anyone, I don't think I have ever stolen anything, and I try really hard not to plagiarize. But I am not perfect. And I hope the people at seminary accept me for who I am. I don't want to be perfect.

I strive to be a giving, loving, encouraging person at least 95% 85-ish% of my days. But I have some major flaws/things-that-are-weird.

I have a pretty foul mouth sometimes. (I'm working on it...) 
I think dirty jokes and sexual innuendoes are hilarious.
A lot of my faith is based on the fact that I just really love the mystery.
I'm a doer - if you start giving me "ideas," I'm going to ask you to demonstrate them.
I was a poli sci major in college. Politics is my thing.
I believe in loving people and forgiving them. And that gets me in trouble.
I have a lot beef with the Church and how "they" run things.
I'm unconventional. And liberal. And conservative. And confused.

What if no one likes me? 

Or worse:


What if no one is like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment