Thursday, March 28, 2013

I'm done with Lent.

I have never suffered through the Lenten season like I did this year.

It wasn't because of what I gave up. I actually forgot about coffee on most days until I was at Jacob's Porch and everyone had a cup in his or her hand.  I've gotten used to fasting throughout the past few months.

Maybe it's because I'm older. But I think it is more because God was actively changing my heart during this time.

I am so ready to rejoice in the empty tomb.  I am so ready to shout "Alleluia!" and "Jesus is risen!"

Why?

Because I've been mourning the entire season of Lent. And honestly, I'm tired of it. I've been meditating on what it means for Christ to die for our sins. To die a sinner and criminal for things He never even did. And I hate it. I hate that He had to die for me. I wish I could change it.

But at the same time I know I wouldn't.

As hurt as I have felt through Lent this year, I know that it is only a brief moment of grief before Jesus is risen from the grave.  I know that the tomb is empty.  And I rejoice so much in that.

But I can fully rejoice at the empty tomb only because I have been mourning at the foot of the cross for a month and a half. It has felt so heavy - heavier than it has ever felt in my life.

But after three days He rose again...

So on Sunday we can shout, " Alleluia! He is Risen!"

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Sarah! I'm afraid I'm not very good at denying myself! My 18 year old son did much better by not eating meat except on Sundays. A blessed Easter season to you! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete