Monday, April 1, 2013

Little things.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Wednesdays are some of my less exciting days.

I'm not required to go into work, but I go in anyway to make some extra cash. I usually sit around for about four hours, alternating between reading, blogging, and chatting with the people in the office.

Then I find something to eat and make my way to Bible study at Jacob's Porch.

I still wasn't fully convinced that I wanted to go to Panera as I pulled into the parking lot, but I went in anyway. You can't go wrong with broccoli cheddar soup and a baguette, right?

As I was sitting down with my laptop and food, a man asked me to help with something. He was sitting with who I am assuming was his girlfriend and her two daughters. He made the older girl turn around to me and ask for an adverb. After a brief freakout that I wouldn't remember what an adverb is (modifies a verb? Ah crap, that was 3rd grade!), I came up with "quickly."

It was then explained that the young girl was finding words for her Madlibs, but she could only ask strangers around Panera for words. I guess it was an exercise to help her come out of her introverted shell.

As I sat at the next table for an hour, the young girl got up the courage to ask at least ten other people for words for her Madlib. When a few friends gave her the very last words, she read the Madlib aloud to the group.  I looked up and saw that the various people she had asked before had gotten up and listened to the finished Madlib as well. People sitting around them all leaned in to listen. Students stopped studying and took out their headphones to catch a line of the Madlib.  Everyone was giggling and smiling.

This shy little girl brought unexpected joy to a dozen people during the dinner rush at Panera.

Just by bringing them together for a common goal.

Sometimes it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment