Monday, November 20, 2017

Pray then do

I might be becoming a cynic. Maybe I was always a cynic and restaurant work brought it out in me. Whatever the case may be, I think it has done me good to be out of the church bubble I've been in for the past several years and talk to people who a) don't care for the church, b) are apathetic toward the church, or c) hate the church with their entire being. I've learned a lot and honestly, I kind of agree with a lot of what my colleagues say to me when I tell them I'm a pastor.

It's an interesting phenomenon, really.

When I'm in a casual conversation with someone and they ask me what I do, I usually say some variation of, "I studied to be a pastor," "I am a pastor," or "I work in the church." All of a sudden it's like invisible floodgates open and everything that they have ever experienced in Christianity comes rushing out (usually at me). I honestly don't mind these conversations, because a lot of times I can agree with at least some of what they say and in some instances try to apologize for what the church has done and (not very often) say, "if you'd be interested in giving it another try, I know this church..."

I was talking to a friend the other week about "everything that's wrong with the church/people who call themselves Christians," and she got on the subject of praying. She said, "I get that praying can seem really powerful for y'all, but why don't you actually do anything? Praying isn't going to fix the government or on a smaller level, feed that hungry person you just passed on the street." After talking a little bit more, she said, "praying didn't help me when I had my daughter. I'm sure plenty of people prayed for me, but no one in my parent's church stepped up and paid my bills or offered to give me a job or a place to stay when I needed it."

I couldn't agree more.

I've come to the realization that saying that we will pray for someone has become a bit of a cop out. It has become a conversation ender when we become uncomfortable. It has become a passive way of making us free as if we are making a difference when we could actually be making a difference. 

I compare it to being a "Facebook advocate/activist." It's awesome that people share photos online of their favorite causes and charities, but if we are not donating to those charities, marching in those protests, calling our senators, speaking against whatever -ism in real life, then our Facebook activism falls short. Really short.

Sometimes, though, praying is all we can do. I understand that. No matter how much money I donate to cancer research, I cannot cure my friend's cancer. I cannot assist my friend who lives 2000 miles away with the child care she so desperately needs. So I pray. And that matters.

But sometimes there is something we can do. Something more than praying. I've recently had many religious and less-than-religious friends comment about "thoughts and prayers" after national tragedies. There are a lot of us who feel hopeless against such senseless violence and we want to say something or do something to make it feel as if we can make a difference. And prayers do make a difference. But offering our prayer is only the beginning of seeking justice.

When presented with dead children, bleeding women, and crippled people, Jesus did not wait in the wings to offer them "thoughts and prayers" (Luke 7, Matthew 9). He went to them, he healed them, he offered them justice and peace. What good is saying, "peace, peace," when there is no peace (Jeremiah 6:14; 8:11)? Offering "thoughts and prayers" to people without moving into action, or at the very least advocating for action, we are healing the wounds of God's people superficially (Jeremiah 6:14). In other words, we are putting a bandage over a hemorrhaging wound instead of finding the cause and healing it.

There is nothing wrong with praying. But it cannot be passive. We must pray then do. Pray then protest. Pray then offer to cook a meal. Pray then drive her to the bus stop. Pray then step in when someone is being persecuted. Pray then do his laundry. Pray then help them look for a job or offer to be a reference. Pray then visit her in the hospital. Pray then babysit their children. Pray then call our senators. Pray then advocate for change. Pray then do.


No comments:

Post a Comment