Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Proclaim the good news of God in Christ through word and deed

Of all the baptismal promises, perhaps this one is the most elusive. What does it mean to "proclaim the good news of God in Christ through word and deed?" Do we have to do it every day? Does it mean we actually have to talk about Jesus?

I'm not sure I know the answers to any of these questions, but I can tell you that I think I have witnessed the fulfillment of this promise in community at campus ministry.

I've seen this promise fulfilled in "Cov House Thanksgiving" when we gather together to love, sing, eat, and laugh.


I've seen it in playing Cards Against Humanity with some of my kindest, most dear friends and being appalled at the nonsense we come up with.
I've witnessed it in college students collecting blankets for the homeless people around campus as the weather turns bitter.


I've witnessed it in heartfelt notes written to Young Adults in Global Missions students.
I've seen it in patient conversations over gingerbread houses.

I've seen the promise fulfilled as college students decide to help a woman remodel her house on a Saturday afternoon instead of whatever else they could be doing on that hot, humid day in South Carolina.


I've witnessed this as students sit on the lawn and ask complete and total strangers about their stories. They listen, love, and make new friendships and connections just by being present.


I have seen this promise fulfilled in sitting together, doing seemingly mindless work, talking with one another about our lives and dreams. We cut and tie, making "plarn" to be knit into mats for our homeless siblings in town. 


I am not at all sure what it means to "proclaim the good news of God in Christ through word and deed," but I do believe that it is best done in community, with people who care deeply for one another, who can vulnerable and honest with one another. And with people who truly love God and love the Gospel. I believe that proclaiming the good news is less about knowing the Gospel, and more about experiencing it and living into it every day of our lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment