Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Expedition

A friend and colleague shared this poem as we considered how to leave our congregations and say goodbye "well." I don't know if there is a way to say goodbye well to the people who have captured my heart and lovingly pulled me into their family so quickly and fully, but I will try and try again until I have expended enough words on these loved ones. So tonight I share not my own words, but the words of another, more poetic writer... 


The Expedition 
by Anthony de Mello

My time here has come to an end, 
And I think of the days that I have spent in these surroundings.
I see an image of myself as I was when I came here
And I look at my self as I am today
At the close of this time.

I think of the persons and places that have been a part of my time here.
To each of them I speak in gratitude.
And to each I say goodbye. 
Other places, other persons call to me,
and I must go. 

I think of the experiences I have had,
The graces I have been granted
In this place.
For each of these too, I am grateful.

I think of the kind of life I have lived here,
The atmosphere, the daily schedule.

I say goodbye:
Another type of life awaits me,
Other graces, other experiences.
And I say goodbye to persons,
places, 
things, 
events,
experiences,
and graces, 
I do so under life's imperious biddings.

If I wish to be alive
I must learn to die at every moment.
That is, to say goodbye, let go, move on. 

When this is done, I turn to face the future
And I say, "Welcome."

I think of the work that waits for me,
The people I shall meet,
The type of life I shall be living, 
The events that will take place tomorrow.
And I extend my arms in welcome
To the summons of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment